This little "pamphlet" called "Thinking About Film," by Dean Duncan, is our only textbook this semester, at least the only one you have to buy. But it contains the essential ideas that I am hoping will impress your mind this semester
I want you all to become critical film viewers, to the best of your ability. This idea is a highly ethical one. Being critical requires you to be responsible in the way you watch films. It requires that you look at the film according to its own nature, not according to what you would prefer it to be. It requires you to set aside your likes and dislikes of certain kinds of films and watch films actively. YOU are responsible for a good viewing experience, not the film.
Now, being "critical" does not mean that you have to challenge the film or find negative things to say. Of course, you can CRITICIZE a film, as long as you do so intelligently. However, being critical also does not allow you simply to say, "oh, I loved it!" Being critical means asking yourself why a film works the way it does, how it is put together, what kind of value it holds, and how it changes the way you watch films.
The least critical thing you could do in this class is look over the list of films I have chosen for us and say, "Ugh, does that one have subtitles? Oh no, a black and white film? Where are the action movies?" Instead, set out to tackle each film as a new challenge. I think you'll find that movies can be rewarding as well as entertaining.