"What Kind of Viewer Am I?"

Attention: Please do not attempt this assignment until you have successfully signed up for a Google account and have read the instructions for film responses. I know this posting is not about a film, but it follows the same formatting as all the other film responses you will do. Also, your display name that appears with your comment must be formatted the correct way in order for me to keep your comment and grade it. So please make sure you set up your display name the right way when you sign up.

Also, be sure you have already read Thinking About Film before posting your response to this posting. This course invites you to watch films with a more critical eye. To be critical does not necessarily mean to look for weaknesses in a film or to express a negative opinion about it. It really means to take a step back from your personal enjoyment of a film and think about how the film works and why it's made the way it's made. Does this critical approach mean that you cannot enjoy the film?

I hope not! In fact, if you think carefully about a film, its techniques, its structure, and its themes, you might discover a new level of enjoyment that exceeds what you know now. Even if your taste in movies does not change, you might still find that your personal preferences are not the only factor worth considering in evaluating the quality of the movies you see.

Some years ago, I saw a film that revolutionized the way I watched movies: Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. Before that moment, I had been completely passive in my enjoyment of films. When I discovered that entertainment could be more than a mindless activity, I experienced a new energy and a new optimism. If you have not already, I hope this class will help you do so.

Now here is your prompt: First, what does Dean Duncan mean when he says that "the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer." I am not asking for your interpretation of his words; rather, based on reading his short book, I want you to explain, with examples, what Duncan is talking about, from his point of view. Second, I want you to explain your potential to become the type of viewer who can take that kind of responsibility. What kind of viewer are you now, and what might be standing in your way? I would like to know about your experience with films, the way you have watched some of them, and what your goals for this semester are in this course. Do you want to become a critical viewer? Why or why not? Remember, please post a comment that is at least two equal-length paragraphs long and at least meets the length requirement for responses.

23 comments:

  1. I think in order for me, to obtain that level of responsibility is to watch films seriously, instead of watching them for fun. Right now, I only watch films for the entertainment value of it. I won’t (usually) go see films that don’t interest me, regardless of how much success it has achieved (such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy). If I could get past that, I believe that I could obtain the level of responsibility that Duncan explains in his book. I want to get a better understanding of film lingo. When someone is having a conversation with me about film, I want to be able to understand what he or she is saying and be able to respond back (without sounding like I have no clue what I am talking about). I also think this class will give me a better appreciation of film in general. So that is another goal I’d like to achieve this semester. I think the skill of being a critical viewer would be good, but overall, I believe the skill would take the fun of watching films away. Constantly thinking of how everything in a film correlates with one another would ruin my willingness of disbelief, and thus ruin the film. Now being able to switch the skill off and on would be ideal, but I don’t think I could obtain that kind of ability in my lifetime.

    I think what Duncan meant by “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer” was that the viewer had to be fully involved and engaged in the film. Instead of having the film be explained to the viewer, the viewers must, in turn, interpret the film for themselves. He explains that most viewers will condemn a film they do not like or are not interested in. Duncan suggests that viewers should instead understand why it falls short; they should think criticality about what aspects of the film went wrong. Once that aspect(s) have been understood, Duncan suggests that the viewer can move past them and “continue to be entertained or informed.” This in turn allows the viewers to interpret the film for themselves. If a viewer can interpret a film when it is good, why can’t they do it when it is bad? Ultimately, Dean Duncan doesn’t believe in a bad film, just a bad viewer. If a film is considered bad, he believes that it’s the viewer’s fault for it being bad. He suggests this by never really putting blame on the films but onto the viewer. An example of this is at the end of chapter 1. Duncan explains that there will be strong opinions in this book; that we (as the readers) might not agree with, but with an understanding (essentially an open mind), we can “discover and consider angles or nuances that we would not have found on our own.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duncan is explaining that the movie and its contents are not to be prejudged, that one should keep a neutral outlook, not expectorations or write offs before you view the work. The viewer’s preference of film genres should not be the determining factor when experiencing a film. Also, Duncan notes that we should not shun those who have opinions that differ from out own, “There is a common complaint that many people lodge about film and media criticism: ‘I don’t like that critic because he doesn’t agree with me!’ ” Rather he says that we should be open-minded to the opposing opinions of other critics and their interpretation of the film. “It is also true that an open-hearted participation in the exchange of ideas and observations can lead to much growth and edification.” Here he is saying that keeping an open mind to new ideas and discussing challenging positions will lead to enlightenment as well as new interpretations of films.

    I am a strict, narrow-minded viewer when it comes to the type of films I watch. I am the obstacle in my way in regards to properly understanding and valuing films. It is that I simply do not see a reason to venture out into different genres of film the type I already know that I enjoy. My goal for this semester is to grasp the opportunity at hand, expand my horizons, push the boundaries, and truly explore the world of film. I wish to discover quality movies, but most importantly appreciate them, and truly understand the complexity and meanings that film has to offer. My desire is to learn to look for the director’s detail and visions, to admire the actors’ emotions and behaviors, lastly to marvel in the scene angles and dimensions that add intensity to the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I was reading through Dean Duncan’s book, I recalled a cheesy line I’d once heard in an old movie, “you are in charge of your destiny!” The sentence was related to a young boy’s future, but the point resonated with what I was reading - we are the deciders of how far the film experience goes. I really like the concept; it helps validate the existence for the films that ended with my furrowed brows and questions towards the director’s state of mind. There is something more behind the motion picture and Duncan helps us to discover and tap into this world of possibility. It became fairly apparent that this isn't always an easy transition when he spent roughly 10 pages on how to set aside our current viewing habits (I.e. personal taste, narcissism, film ratings.) Up to this point, we have been choosing films based purely on the idea of, “will this hold my interest and keep me thoroughly occupied?” and Duncan explains how that question should evolve into, “what can I learn and absorb from this type of film?”


    I think there’s a part of me that is already a critical viewer and alive as it may be, it is a small part because I only really see it surface when I’m enjoying foreign films. I really loved Pan’s Labyrinth, Amelie, and A Tale of Two Sisters. Honestly, this has never been more obvious than right now; I understand why though - not being fluent in the languages they were speaking helped me to rearrange my focus to other parts of the film (I.e. the camera angles, their facial expressions, the locations.) My mother acts and because of that I’ve overheard and been taught how to view things from an actress’s point of view, but I usually sweep that under the rug and just watch the movie. I’m excited to learn more about film making and terminology simply because I love to learn and this holds my interest. Needless to say, I’m willing to make the effort to be a critical viewer and find things I can learn from these filmmakers I would normally have left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duncan means that each viewer should remove their preconceived notions and truly take the film in - acknowledge and appreciate the film for what it is. He clarifies that this does not mean you have to “like” each film just because it is serving its own unique purpose; in fact, if you disagree/dislike the film after watching with an open-mind and thoughtfulness of its specific meaning, you then have more justification as to why you feel that way; “This does not mean that we will champion every film simply for doing what it wants. Intention is just one consideration among many, and if we feel a film’s objective to be questionable, then we will say so.” Secondly, he states that the viewer must do his own thinking or studying even, to “judge a work on its own merits”. The viewer will then be well enough equipped to decide whether the film is not stacking up because he needs to alter his own way of thinking, or if it is just plain “troubling” to the viewer’s principles.

    I definitely think that I am somewhat inexperienced and passive when it comes to film viewing. In the past, I have not been particularly interested in exploring different types of movies; not because I wasn’t intrigued, but mostly because I found it time consuming and not one of my top priorities. Obviously, I picked this course, and so I am now willing to make it a priority. I certainly will need to utilize select pieces of advice from the Thinking About Film book because I recognize a lot of ways that I have been shorting myself when it comes to my viewing habits. I do hope to become a critical viewer, because I think what Duncan says about it actually deepening your enjoyment of films must be true. I overhear others talking so enthusiastically about different movies that they like or can’t wait to see, and I honestly hardly ever experience the same excitement. It seems pretty clear that there is a whole world of enjoyment out there waiting for me to spend a little time on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a movie buff, but only for mainstream films. I just recently started getting into watching “small” amounts of independent movies and I can honestly say that I am surprised on how good some of them are. I only watch films that do not contradict my beliefs and if I disagree with a film, regardless if I have seen it or not, I will do everything I can to make that film sound terrible to other people. I am normally the first person in the room with friends or in the movies to point out an error or a problem with the film. Whether it be that I am talking about the film being too vague, or the film being too boring, or not enough action, either way I am pretty picky about films. I am excited to be in this course for the very fact that because I love movies so much, I lack the knowledge about movies. I want to learn how to look at movies differently and how to interpret the meaning of a movie in the way that the director intended it to be taken. I am going to have to get over the fact that some films I am not going to like, and instead of looking at them from a biased standpoint, instead I need to look at them from a critical stand point and give praise where it is needed, and criticism where it is needed as well. I was surprised about some of the films that were chosen to be viewed and how excited some people were in the class to see them, when honestly I have never heard of them before. It is going to be a learning experience for me this semester not only in the film part of the class, but on the beliefs and biased parts as well. I have high expectations for this course and am excited about it.

    I think Duncan meant that in order for the viewer too truly enjoy a film and take away what the film really means, the viewer has to break down his or her walls of bias or pre conceptions of the film in order to do so. That’s why Duncan said that “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer.” Duncan makes it sound like the viewers is the determining factor on what makes a film good or bad. I say this because he puts a lot of emphasis on the viewers and how they need to approach a film with an open mind and take the walls of bias down. Duncan tells us that basically there is no bad movie, just bad viewers. Duncan says that in order for the viewer to understand a film that the viewers have to break it down and examine it. If the film has flaws or errors or a part against your belief then the viewer can isolate that and have concrete evidence to describe why the film was not satisfactory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “The responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer”. Dean Duncan discusses many ways in which this saying holds true. It is up to the viewer to understand a movie. Duncan says that one of the most important methods of achieving a thoughtful understanding of a movie is to have a dialog with it. You as the viewer have to try and understand why it is the way it is. A lot goes into making a movie, big or small, and all of these things should be considered when you watch it. The viewer themselves might see it differently than another. Duncan attributes that, in a broad sense of the word, to genealogy. Who you are as a person, and the things that have shaped you into that person cause you to see things in a way nobody else does. Every person looks through a different set of eyes and sees the world in a different way. An educated viewer will likely enjoy more movies.

    Currently, I watch movies for entertainment. Occasionally I’ll watch informative documentaries, but very rarely will I go out of my way to watch a movie in another language, or one that simply doesn’t intrigue me. That being said, I rarely ever walk away from a movie having not enjoyed it. I’ve only left a theater during a movie once, and it was a very controversial movie I simply couldn’t sit through. Other than that, you could ask anyone that knows me and they would no doubt tell you that I always love going to a movie, renting one, or sometimes just watching one I’ve owned forever. I’d like to become a critical viewer, that is one of the reasons why I took this class. But I’m not going to be able to become one if that means that it will come at the expense of my enjoyment of movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I believe Duncan means when he says “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer” means that it depends on the viewer who is going to watch this film. If you are a very opinionated film critic then you shouldn't because you should have an open mind when watching new films. The viewer is the determining factor if they will enjoy the movie or not. The viewer has to break down all walls that they have when walking into a movie theater to fully enjoy or not enjoy the film you are watching. Dean says that there isn't such thing as a bad film, but a bad viewer.


    I’m not sure what kind of viewer I am. I watch movies to enjoy them not to do a critique on them and such. I believe that Duncan’s quote that “there is no such thing as a bad movie, but a bad viewer” is false. The worst movie I have ever seen was Bridesmaids. That movie is awful because it does not have a set plot structure, over use of false comedy, and unnecessary dialogue. Now that is an awful movie. I think what gets in my way of being a good film critic is that I am too opinionated and that my opinions make me not care about the movie I am watching. I would like to be a critical writer because I do enjoy films would like to soon to write reviews for films for me because I would like to par take in something to do with film and the film community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that when Duncan says "the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer", he is referring a variety of factors concerning how the viewer perceives the film, rather than a simple up-or-down vote on it. For example, a film that was once considered groundbreaking might seem dated, to a more casual observer who has spent most of their life watching films that have imitated the original. Another way is to appreciate a film for what it is, and what it is not: for example, "Piranha 3D" is not as good a film as "Sophie's Choice", but then again, it was never intended to be. It can be argued that "Piranha 3D" works very well as a send-up of old, silly monster movies, but if somebody buys a ticket to it expecting to have their emotions moved and their conventions challenged, they will be sorely disappointed.

    I like to see myself as a critical (my wife might say, overly-critical) viewer of film, in that I pride myself on picking up on nuances and judging films by what they're trying to do, but I admit that very often I subconsciously judge movies on whether or not I had fun watching them (for example, "Taken" may not be the best movie ever made, but boy, is it fun to watch). I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with this approach, but it is important to do as Duncan suggests and interpret films within the frameworks in which their creators intended for them to be judged. Instead of judging an emotional drama alongside a romantic comedy and finding the latter lacking, it is possible to judge a drama as a drama and a rom-com as a rom-com, and see how well each of them conveys the stories and emotions they are intended to convey

    ReplyDelete
  9. What Duncan means, in my opinion, is that the viewer shouldn't begin to judge the film before his or her viewing of it, and they should begin the film with a positive attitude, or at least any attitude that isn't negative. The viewer also can't go into the film with any biases towards the movie. Our attitude is not the only thing that has an impact on our film viewing and interpreting. Duncan explains that genealogy and culture has a large impact on how you take in and interpret a movie, which I completely agree with. An individual from a lower class neighborhood, involved in gang activity could have a different view on the movie from an individual from a high class family. The same goes for if a person from Africa were to watch a documentary about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the impact that movie has on them would not be the same as someone from America, although it would be interesting to compare the two.

    At the moment I would say I am a passive viewer when it comes to watching films. I don't normally have a negative attitude towards films, unless it is a genre I'm not too fond of, such as romance. As for critiquing movies, I don't go through all of the steps Duncan describes, but I do explain the pros and cons I have of that film. I'm also not very great at attempting to interpret films, so that also has an impact on the way I take in and critique a film. Lately I feel like I have become more critical about films as well, or it may just be that movies being released nowadays aren't as good as they used to be. Either way I'm sure this class will assist with how I critique films. It will also help with the way I interpret films as well, which will most likely help with how I have been recently critiquing movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What Duncan means by saying “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer” is that for the viewer to have a good experience; the viewer “must occasionally, even frequently take the time to consider things that are not native to us.” Duncan also says that “difference in approach leads to different kinds of film understand.” I think the approach of the viewer has on the movie is one of the most important factors to having a “good experience.” A viewer must stop and engage in critical thinking and critical self-analysis and themselves “is there a way for me to make better, more careful media choices?” In “Thinking About Film” Duncan list two exercises that let the reader evaluate the way he or she is influenced on choosing the films that he or she views. The first exercise is how the viewer picks the movie and what’s their influence; the second exercise is the genealogy of the viewer and how it can widen the viewer’s film choices and connections with a film.

    To be honest I've always been stubborn about the films I watch. I have never been the type to give a film the chance to entertain me because of the year made or the actors in it. Now that I’m older and less stubborn, I've realized that there are great films out there that are actually worth sitting down a watching. I want to learn how to be a critical viewer instead of watching the film just because the characters are popular and it’s a comedy or action film. I would like to be able to sit down and watch a movie that I have always avoided and appreciate the quality of work of the film. I’m confident that this class will broaden my mind and help me leave behind my stubborn ways. I think that Duncan’s exercises on evaluating the way I pick the movies I watch will also help me become a better film viewer in the future. I feel that these exercises will also help me become a critical viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dean Duncan tells how a critic will watch a film without hesitation of finishing it. A critic looks at the creative process and the story of the film to have a professional perspective of it. An example of the creative process is how much money is put into making the film. Duncan believes that profit raises expectations. A movie coming from two different critic’s perspectives help create good conversation between one another. It helps each other discover things the other critic does not know by exchanging thoughts.

    The kind of viewer I am now is very liberal. However, I do not think I can ever watch a film the same again. A critic is to know every aspect of the film in all moments of every camera shot. What stands in my way of having the potential of being the type of viewer Duncan is that I feel it would ruin my experience with films. I would start to get bored of them and not find the experience as exciting. My experience with films is at a positive standing because I am not a professional critic. The way I watch films is if I get a thrill or a good laugh out of them. My goal for this semester is to excel. I don’t want to be a critical viewer because I am a art major and it is my passion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (This is Danielle's Barrow assignment. My Google account is acting up)

    I believe when Dean Duncan says "the responsibility for a
    good film experience lies with the viewer", he means that to enjoying any kind of film it all depends on the viewer and his/her output on the film. If the viewer watching the film is pessimism then they will just one opinion about the film and would not even attempt to enjoy other movies that our not in their range of film entertainment. If the viewer watching the film is optimistic they will have lots of opinions about the film and would attempt to see other films that they wouldn't normally see. The viewer has to take all his/her insecurities and realism down in order to understand all of concepts that go in to make a film. When I watch films I don’t watch them to understand all of the concepts, but by taking this class I hope to learn how to judge a film without being harsh.

    I think I am a strict viewer when it comes to movies. When I go our see a movie I usually spot out who the bad guy is, what twist is going to happen next, and who is going to die first. A recent movie I felt that I judged very strictly was The Dark Knight Rises. I agree it was a great film, but I knowing too much about Batman kind of ruined my expectations for that film. Knowing Bane was portrayed as a terrorist and the fact that hoping The Riddler was going to be the villain as I was told even before the movie was released kind of brought down my expectations. Going back to Batman Forever (1995), I always thought of Bane as Poison Ivy’s little helper not really a big main bad guy. When I watch films I usually just watch for the entertainment, but I can’t help to just point out everything. I would love to become a critical viewer because I believe it would help me to start my journey and hopefully career of being a director or screenplay writer for films.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When Duncan says, "the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer," he is saying that any movie can be a bad movie or a good movie if you choose to see it that way; however, by taking responsibility (setting aside your idea of what entertainment is, what our movie choices are based on, and how we level craftsmanship). By putting personal attributes away a viewer can responsibly watch a film and walk away with an honest experience. The viewer should go into a film with little to no expectations, to let the movie stand on its own rather than the pedestal or stump you put it on prior to watching it.

    I'd like to think I'm a critical viewer. When I watch movies it is to an extent for entertainment purposes, but I also watch movies in the hopes to have a new experience and maybe learn something new or in the very least be exposed to a different way of thinking. For example, I watched the "Squid and the Whale" a few days ago and it challenged a lot of ideas I had about divorce, but I did not set out to have my ideas and opinions challenged,it just happened, sort of like an added bonus. Overall I'm generally very open minded. I will watch just about anything and I can almost always find something positive about the movie that I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dean Duncan’s meaning of "the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer," is that how we view the film from multiple aspects increases our pleasure. What was the writer or director thinking when a certain scene was developed? Was anything computer generated, was it a camera trick? (I like looking for the special effects.) When we watch films with a more critical eye for how they are made or even who is cast, we are getting more immersed in the experience. Not every film will or can be looked at the same way. Depending on genre, director or maybe even the actors will determine for me, the basic pleasure I get from the movie. Looking at what happens in the back ground or with mise-en-scène can enhance the experience.

    As a viewer I do tend to be quite passive. I generally pick a movie for a quick thrill or to pass the time; nothing that I have to commit myself to. Something that doesn’t have much depth to it, like a comedy or an action film, would be my first pick. I can escape from the real world and forget the mundane things that are happening around me. Sometimes I get a little wild and reckless and will watch an Indie film. Those used to frighten me because more often than not I will not understand what the director is trying to say or the point they are trying to make. Since starting this class I have re-watched some classic films from the 1930’s, 1940’s and have been comparing them with how films are shot today. I realized that I have pretty much always viewed films critically without thinking about it. Now I am confident that I will be able to analyze more of what I am seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When Duncan makes that statement he’s implying that the viewer makes the conscious choice of liking or disliking something while they watch. Perhaps dismissing other merits with which a film can be soundly judged and enjoyed. Referencing his earlier statement that a film should be judged on its own terms. One should not go into a film with any expectation of the film they’re about to watch or previous bias. That what is in front of them is what is in front of them. That is what should be experienced. It should not be about how much you spent to watch it. You’ll get a much more fulfilling experience if you can learn to acquire that ability. If you do end up genuinely disliking something about the film there is always something to like. Bright spots you can call them. Whether it’s the performance of a particular actor or how it was directed. You can look at a particular scene that got to you, the score, the story, and the writing. The list of things to find can go on and on. Getting inside the head of the director and understanding what they were going for is a large part of it all. The most important thing to do though is to keep an open mind and not shut down if there is something you dislike. Look past it and find things that you do enjoy.

    For me what I find interesting is that when I watch films I do indeed keep some of these things in mind. But not to the level that Duncan writes about. It’s only when I thoroughly enjoy a movie that I can look at all its aspects and decide what I enjoyed and what worked. But when I dislike a movie its so much easier to find what was wrong with it. On another level I want to start finding things that I enjoy in films (disregarding how much I enjoyed them) so that I can more easily understand what the director was trying to go for. Finding the intent is actually one of my favorite parts of watching movies. When I leave the cinema that’s usually what I come out with. To me the experience is key. I’d like to have that happen even with movies that I dislike now. Hopefully now I can put it into practice and become better at it even when I watch good movies! Becoming more of a critical viewer would be the best thing for me to take away from this cours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What Dean Duncan means by “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer” is that to everyone every film is different. One person is going to experience a film differently than the person next to them. The purpose of a film is to not only enjoy it but to be able to understand it. I think what Dean Duncan wants is for people to be able to watch a film that maybe in the past they would have brushed aside based on genre or certain actors. He wants us to be able to cretic a film and still be able to walk out of the theater and say that we enjoyed it. Being able to cretic a film is simply not just a thumbs up or thumbs down or saying that you liked it or not, It is being able to understand certain technics that they director may be using or how an actor delivers a certain line. There are so many factors that go into critiquing a film and Duncan wants us to be able to explore and navigate all of them.

    I have always loved to watch movies and I usually didn’t have a preference about the type of movie it was but I was always held back by whether or not it was popular at the moment or there was an actor that was staring in the movie that I was fond of. I have usually had good experiences with movies, there are not many that I can say I don’t like, but there are the small few that just did not get my attention and keep it. I want to be able to analyze a movie and see where the director or writer was coming from and why a scene was shot a certain way. I wanted to be able to watch any type of movie and enjoy it, even if it is not a big blockbuster hit. I would not mind becoming a more critical viewer but I don’t want to be so critical that I nitpick at every little thing and not enjoy anything that I may watch in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think one of the most important statements shared from reading Duncan’s book is to keep an open mind which in my opinion is the heart of being responsible for creating your own viewing experience. We all have expectations when we sit down to watch a movie, if it is a big Hollywood film I think the majority of consumers’ expectations would come from social media advertising and public or just casual talk with your friends. Duncan is saying that before anyone can really watch a movie they must be equipped with the tools for doing so. There is a lot you can experience and feel from viewing a movie whether you like or dislike it, if you have the knowledge and critical viewing skills to see beyond what most viewers see which is a just a visual of moving pictures on a big screen. I think if Duncan could have up to five minutes to talk to every film watching individual about how much you can get from a movie more people would be inclined to pick up these necessary tools to increase their pleasure in watching movies. After all if you ever watched a movie and thought it was amazing, imaging how much appreciation you can get from it when you explore it and critically view it from start to finish.


    I have had a very sloppy movie watching experience in the past couple of years. I always thought going to the movies was a lot of fun with a big group of friends, especially one that you have been waiting for over a year to release ever since you heard about it. Unfortunately my current residency is located about 25 minutes away from the closest movie theatre so my intentions on going out and spending the gas money have given me very little motivation to see new movies. There are a lot of great movies I have never seen, I simply do not go out of my way much to watch many movies. I spend most of my time on the computer; I have moved around the world and made many friends so I often times watch movies while in a Skype call with a friend or group of friends. The problem here obviously is how I acquire these movies; I “torrent” them which is a term used for downloading files shared by users around the world. Now if it is a movie I believe is worth paying for then I definitely go to the movies for it. I may have a nice monitor but obviously watching a movie on the big screen is much more beneficial than on my computer. I am a very open minded person and hope this class makes me realize that every movie is worth getting my butt off the chair for and go out to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When Duncan says "the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer" he means to say that the film and the possible enjoyment of that film are left at the viewers discretion. Duncan wants us a viewers to take charge of our film viewing abilities and experience and be able to truly appreciate a film for all that its worth. The idea is for us to set aside what we think is good or entertaining and instead experience what is in front of us with an open mind and in doing so we may enjoy something unexpected. Duncan wants us to go outside our norms or what we accept as good. He thinks that as viewers by controlling the way we look at films we have control over what we get out of them. This is to say that if we objectively view films giving them an equal chance as observers there is no limit to what we can learn and broaden our minds to. Duncan notes in the book to not shun ideas that don't match our own and by opening our minds and being objective viewers we break away from blocking things out simply because we do not agree with them.

    I would consider myself a lazy viewer of films. I currently only watch films for entertainment or enjoyment. If a film expresses views that I personally disagree with I wont watch it. As well as being a lazy viewer I guess that makes me close minded as well. The first step I should take in becoming a more responsible critical film viewer is trying not to shut out ideas that are foreign to me and accepting that those ideas have merit. If a movie is interesting to me I enjoy it thoroughly and consider myself to watch somewhat critically. However more often than not as a viewer I shut out movies that do not appeal to me. To become a more responsible viewer of films I simply need to begin by opening my mind. Like Duncan says I am in charge of my film experience. As long as I keep an open mind I think I could easily become a more critical film viewer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Duncan’s book Thinking About Film has opened a new perspective of watching films, atleast for me. Duncan’s book is all about backing up his saying that “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer.” Most people, I included, watch movies based on their personal preferences or enjoyment. What Duncan means by this is that we should leave our personal preferences aside and that they should not be the determining factor while watching and evaluating movies. I thought he made a very interesting point while beginning his book by asking, “Should we only talk or listen to those who think like we do?” This explains that we should not judge just based on our preferences. Duncan explains that by doing this, this will expand also our knowledge, even in our everyday lives and conversations, “It also inhibits and even debases the casual conversations we have with our friends”. He explains that we do not need to argue with other because their opinions differ than ours. Duncan explains that “there is no such thing as a bad movie, but a bad viewer.”

    My experience with films are pretty open. I took a film class in high school and learned all about the different movie techniques and the reasoning behind it. This has helped me to become more of a critical viewer, but since having taken this course so long ago I have lost most of the information, which is why I am taking this class now. I normally watch movies for entertainment, and I can catch myself saying I won’t go see or won’t watch a movie because it doesn’t seem to catch my interest. I would like to learn more from this course on how to be a critical viewer, and to learn how to personally enjoy movies without having an initial interest in them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Most of the time, we decide whether or not we’re going to enjoy a film before we even see it. We check movie ratings on IMDB, hear our friend’s thoughts and opinions, or just like or dislike a film based on seeing a movie trailer. Duncan says we have preconceptions about a film before even stepping into a movie theatre or clicking the Netflix bookmark in our web browser. I think Duncan believes we choose whether or not we enjoy a movie. We can choose to like or dislike a movie based on our own preferences. The challenge is to set our feelings aside in order to properly observe and critique a film without being biased. Duncan says that films aren’t poorly done just poorly viewed. The viewer should take a step back to discern a film with an open mind, paying attention to close details and having knowledge about various film techniques so that the film can be enjoyed.

    I like to think that I’m an open minded person when it comes to art, music, and film. I enjoy, or at least find meaning, in all types of film genres. This being so, I also have strong opinions and I can be very stubborn. I don’t like Nicholas Cage. If I see a movie trailer with Nicholas Cage in it then I’ve already decided in my head that I won’t like the movie. Things like this automatically make me an extremely close minded viewer. No matter how well written the script is, no matter how talented the other actors are, no matter how wonderful the camera work and editing may be, I completely ignore it and loath the movie. I have very few strong opinions like this, but regardless I need to put them aside when viewing a movie in order to truly appreciate the other factors that are taking place. I believe that I’m already on my way to being a better film viewer based solely on the fact that I’m learning more about films.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ducan feels that “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer” due to underlying assumption in media distribution “that audiences are demanding and passive and requiring that everything to be done for them”; if this assumption is prevalent in the decisions of media distribution, then this ultimately means that it is up to the viewer to think critically about the work being presented, to prove that he/she is not passive and demanding by judging a work on its own merits, according to its own nature, and also by studying and thinking critically to understand what that nature is. This is achieved by having an open mind when watching a film, when thinking about a film, to engage with ideas that might differ from our own in order to grow and learn from the experience. Ducan also says that a film must be judged on its own terms, “not on the basis of some other prevailing custom or preference or expectation.” We, as viewers and critics, should let go of our consumerism ideology that tends us towards films that have definitive closure and answers. We should consider the intent of the film and its context when making criticisms, because, as the author notes, some films raise questions and give no answers, and life is a series of complex events, full of even more complex people.

    I believe that to a large extent, I am that kind of viewer already. Having a background in Theatre, I have always been interested in plays and movies that not only entertain, but reveal aspects of human nature that might not be conscious or pretty or simple. I am interested in learning more about what it means to be human, to have a collective experience as a species, and as an individual in a complex and confusing world. I want to learn more about others, that I might learn more about myself. I watch a variety of movies, and am a particular fan of independent and foreign films, as well as documentaries. The only problem I can foresee in this class that might be a slight obstacle for me is my seriousness in film choices and my tendency to judge films by the characters rather than the work as a whole. I have a hard time finding significant personal meaning in comedies, even though I do enjoy the offbeat ones quite a bit, and as an actor, I tend to look at character development and dynamic as the standard by which I judge a film. I am hoping to become more open minded about the way I view films, to look at them from different angles and learn the lessons they have been trying to show me, the ones that I may have been blinded to by my narrow perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When Dean Duncan says “the responsibility for a good film experience lies with the viewer,” I believe he is saying that it’s up to the viewer to interpret the film on a more meaningful level. After seeing a film, most people just say whether or not they liked it without asking themselves why they feel the way that they feel about it. While you may not like a film, there is always something to be gained from it. I feel as though Duncan is suggesting that every film be looked at with an open mind; be curious as to what made the filmmakers make the film the way that they did and ask oneself what the filmmakers were trying to convey with their film. The movie watching process can be equally as trying as the work of everyone involved in the production of a film itself. It’s not so much whether the viewer liked or disliked the film, rather, it is what they take away from it at the end.

    While there are some films that I thoroughly enjoy, up until the past year I haven’t really watched movies. I always love to be doing something so sitting down for two dedicated hours was tough. However, I have begun watching movies that everyone raves about, not so much for the entertainment value, but to see why they’re so acclaimed. This has been somewhat beneficial because it has taught me what kind of films I am more drawn to and has made me a somewhat critical viewer. After watching Pulp Fiction and Fight Club for the first time, I began to watch films with more of an open mind – even ones that I had seen before. I enjoy wondering why directors made films a certain way and whether or not the film would’ve been as intriguing had it been done differently. I hope to gain an appreciation for film that has gone unfueled for the last ten years and to see films that I would otherwise ignore that will be mentally stimulating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Dean Duncan wants to encourage this generation to actively think about the movie, and not be critical on trivial elements of film. For example, if I don’t like Drive, I should not condemn it or feel negatively towards the film. Duncan suggests I should rather understand why I do not like Drive. I should think deeply about valid reasons why I believe the film was lacking. I often find myself judging movies for the wrong reasons, and Duncan’s phamplet definitely allowed me to find an outlet for negative thoughts on movies in a positive way. I should try to understand the choices of movies and movie makers rather than condemn their choices and call them idiotic.

    I believe I have the potential to become an active and intelligent film viewer. Although I often neglect to analyze films and attempt to understand the choices made by film makers, I feel like knowing the film terms we are learning in this class lets me analyze movies in a more artistic manner. I hope that I can use the terms to become a more active film viewer. There are some films I feel like it would be less enjoyable to watch a movie critically. For example, Finding Nemo might be less entertaining if I tried to analyze the motivations for certain light angles. However, for most live action movies, the choices are much more clear and interesting to analyze.

    ReplyDelete